Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Bus from Johannesburg to Louis Trichardt

I took an all-day bus ride from Johannesburg to Louis Trichardt. I rode on a bus line called TransLux, and it was an interesting experience. We rode from Jo'burg to Pretoria, where those headed to Louis Trichardt had to disembark to another bus (however, they did not tell us that until we reached Pretoria). Then we had to wait in Pretoria for about thirty minutes or so while our bus was made "roadworthy" which must not mean the same thing it means in America, because whenever the bus hit even a minor incline, its speed dropped to about 10 kilometers an hour.

On the bus, I met several interesting people, including the first American I've seen since coming to South Africa. Amber was planning on staying in South Africa for about nine to ten months working in health education with a small organization that works out in Limpopo Province. Amber and I got into a discussion with a few native South Africans during the trip about the various differences between America and South Africa.

During the bus ride, I also got to see a giraffe standing not too far from the highway. Sadly, my camera was not fast enough to take a picture of it before I went out of sight.

These pictures are in the order they were taken during the trip. Click on any of them to enlarge.





 A soccer field lined with barbed wire in Pretoria.





As we entered Limpopo Province, for a moment I thought I was back in Kansas.

This is what most of the scenery looked like for a long while until we got to the mountains.
















A mosque in Polokwane City.

The Colonel is following me wherever I go!







2 comments:

  1. Hope your are having a good time, we miss you here
    The West

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible journey! I feel like I am with you. Thank-you for sharing your experience! Auntie Linda

    ReplyDelete