Wednesday, January 27, 2010

More Thoughts on South Africa

My week in Louis Trichardt was spent mostly in the company of several men from Zimbabwe (one from Mozambique, and another from this area of South Africa). I sat in on several discussions. Some of the most interesting were when debates started about the strength of various African currencies against others. It was almost refreshing not hearing anything said about Euros or US dollars (though dollars did briefly come up since they are being used in Zimbabwe).

It was also interesting to hear them complain about how young people were being negatively influenced by black American rappers. The one they mentioned more than any other was "Fifty Cents" as they said it in about the most annunciated fashion possible.

"This Fifty Cents, he's a bad influence," one said, "Why would he even have a name like that? Fifty Cents? Kids, they wear their pants down below their waist, and they are so baggy. Why are they baggy? And they wear their cap to the side, and act mean…"

On that note, not necessarily about morality, but the influence of American culture on South Africa can be seen almost everywhere. I have humorously alluded to it by noting that Colonel Sander's face is everywhere in South Africa. As an American, I always thought that McDonalds was everywhere, and I have seen ten KFCs for every one McDonalds I see in South Africa.

Especially in Jo'burg you see all sorts of advertisements for American TV shows and movies. I saw one billboard not far from the airport that was advertising a local South African News team, and there pictured in the middle (looking as if he was part of the news team) was President Barack Obama!

I don't listen to Alicia Keys even when I am in the States, but I have inadvertently heard her song Empire State of Mind about New York several times in the States. I have heard it more times in two weeks in South Africa than all the times I've heard it in the US. ( I've also heard the 1980's hit Africa by TOTO twice since I've been in South Africa as well.)

I don't know exactly what to think about all of this. Partially, I'm disappointed in a way, because I want to see more "South African" stuff. Partially, I'm surprised by just how much American culture permeates throughout the rest of the world. Partially, I'm humbled by the fact that I don't think we as Americans realize just how much our actions, just the things we choose to listen to and watch, affect everyone else.

Maybe part of that is good. Maybe part of that is not so good, as my Zimbabwean friends pointed out concerning "Fifty Cents."

No comments:

Post a Comment